- Last Updated: Wednesday, 01 April 2020 09:25
The PALS team at Ashford and St. Peter’s Hospitals is a patient friendly, easy-to-access service designed to provide a personal contact to assist patients, relatives and carers.
Our patient experience Team is continuing to monitor compliments and complaints from patients and carers.
We are continuing to respond to existing concerns and complaints however, given the immense pressure facing our staff, we are asking people to accept an extended timeframe for replies of 35 working days (from 25 working days).
Following advice from NHS England has advised we have suspended our NHS Complaints Process for new complaints received from Monday 30th March 2020 for three months. Given the fast changing nature of the pandemic, we may need to suspend the process beyond this initial three-month period. We continue to monitor issues relating to patient safety or practitioner performance.
Most of the Patient Experience Team are working from home and so will generally communicate with patients and carers by email.
The PALS telephone line 01932 723553 is open from 09:00 to 20:00 seven days a week. Please call PALS for updates about your relatives, information about dropping off items for patients or if you have any concerns.
How can PALS help?
PALS can offer you on-the-spot advice and information when you have queries or difficulties regarding our services or the care you have received.
They will listen to your concerns and help you find ways of resolving them.
They will also take note of what you tell them to help us improve our services for patients.
- Download the Your Comments and Concerns leaflet
At the first instance
If you have a problem or concern, you should tell someone in the ward or relevant department as soon as possible – for example, the doctor, nurse, receptionist or ward sister.
If you remain concerned, or the problem is not resolved, please contact the Trust’s PALS team who will help you.
Often, difficulties can be easily and quickly resolved and the PALS team will aim to do this.
If it is not possible for the PALS team to help, they will guide you to a more appropriate person or service.
PALS Promise to You
The Ashford and St. Peter’s Hospitals NHS Trust Patient Advice and Liaison Service is here to help patients and their relatives and carers find a speedy and effective solution to any problems they may encounter.
They can also give you up to date information about the services available throughout the Trust.
If you contact PALS for assistance or advice, the PALS team will:
- Advise you of the options available to you and help you to find the best way of resolving your problem.
- Deal with your problems in confidence and only pass on information to other people or departments with your permission.
- Keep you advised of the progress of any action you ask us to take on your behalf.
- Contact you in person or by telephone within one working day of your initial call.
- Use anonymised information from our contact with you to improve hospital services for the future.
- Not access your medical records or obtain information about you from staff without your permission.
- Ask you if you were happy with the assistance we gave and ask for suggestions for making the PALS service better.
- Ensure that no person who contacts The Patient Advice and Liaison Service will receive less favourable treatment from PALS on the grounds of their sex, marital status, race, colour, creed, religion, physical disability, mental health, learning difficulty, age or sexual orientation.
If you have problems or difficulties
If you have a problem which has not been sorted out on the ward or in a department, PALS will help you to resolve it, or refer you to the appropriate person who will be able to assist you further.
Should you need to speak to a particular member of staff, PALS can contact the relevant member of staff and ask them to contact you.
The PALS team can also help to explain the complaints process and refer you to the complaints department when necessary as well as outside advocacy services should you need them.
If you require an interpreter
If your first language is not English, PALS will be able to help and will work with the department you are attending to arrange for an interpreter to assist you.
How to contact PALS
You can contact the PALS in the following ways:
Visit the PALS office
You can visit the PALS office between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
The PALS office can be found to the right of the reception desk at the main entrance of the Outpatient block at St Peter’s Hospital.
Ask a member of staff
Please ask a member of staff on the ward or clinic you are attending. They will help put you in contact with the PALS team.
By telephone simply dial extension number 3553 if you are calling from any of the internal telephones from within the hospital.
If you are calling from outside the hospital, please call the PALS office direct on 01932 723553.
You can call this number outside normal working hours: a member of the PALS team will return your call within 24 hours or by the next working day
Complaints and Compliments
If you wish to make a formal complaint or compliment the care you or your relative / friend has received please write to:
Ashford and St. Peter's Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Click here to find out more about the Complaints process at the Trust.